4/03/2006

One thing I might do different if I could I'm still friends with my college roommate. I've mentioned her here, even. And I've seen her in the past month or so. Sometimes people ask if she's the only one I had. I say yes. But it's not exactly true. I had one before her, but only for a short time. I couldn't say how long because I just really don't remember. I don't remember a whole lot about living with her either. But I do feel bad about something and I'd like to apologize. So Carrie, wherever you are, I'm sorry I took your stereo out of the box on the first day we moved into the dorm. I have to defend myself though. We wrote some letters over the summer before college and I just knew we were going to be best friends. I don't know why I thought that, I guess I just figured that's how it was supposed to work. I got there first and we trucked in my boxes from the car. She and her parents came later, brought some stuff in and left. I don't know why I decided it was a great idea to unpack her stereo so we could listen to it. And I don't know why no one stopped me. I just remember thinking, "Oh, she won't care!" Because we were going to be BEST. FRIENDS. Only it didn't turn out that way. Things got kind of ugly. I didn't do anything to her other than the stereo thing, but I remember coming back from a weekend at home and walking by someone's room and reading something she'd written on the message board. "IT'S BAACK." And then there was something "cryptic" on our message board, maybe from the person who she'd left that message for. ("Cryptic" meaning really obvious.) It was around then that I started talking to Erin. She hated her roommate, Christine, and wanted me to move into her room and for Christine to move in with Carrie. Only I liked my room and didn't want to give it up. I don't know what finally persuaded me, but we did it. And when we were moving things, I was taking Carrie's stuff out of my fridge so I could move it to the new digs. I think I didn't care much about her stuff. Hey, let it rot on the floor. What did I care? At that point, I hated that girl. But I remember Erin saying "You can't just leave it there like that!" Oh, hell yeah, I can. And then college life as I remember it began. But I still look back at that day and wonder what the hell I was thinking. I would never in a million years unpack someone else's belongings now. God, what an idiot. I wonder what happened to her. I remember near the end of the first semester, she'd bought a car. A spec, but a car all the same. And she had to take it back. Then she didn't come back to school second semester. But other lifelong relationships were just getting started in College Hall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, my first college roommate was a disaster. (actually, quite possibly BOTH of my college roommates were disasters - I should not share tiny spaces with strangers) Anyway. She was a wee bit crazy, and I was a wee bit naive, and it just didn't work. I got my own room second semester sophomore year, and never shared since. Much better for all involved.

4/04/2006 10:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home