1/29/2006

Mai tai withdrawal I miss being on vacation. I miss Hawaii. But most of all, I miss the mai tais.
I decided I would make one last night, so I looked up the recipe. And well... it seems I'm a few items shy of having all the ingredients. Like, about four things. Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai • 1 oz. Dark Rum • 1 oz Light Rum • 1 oz Orange Curacao • 2 oz Orange Juice • 1/2 oz Lime Juice • Dash Orgeat • Dash Simple syrup A couple of which I've never even heard of. Dark rum, light rum... I'm with it there. (I have some rum, but not both kinds.) And OJ. I actually have that. And I may even have some lime juice. But what the heck is orange Curacao? (David knew. Of course) And Orgeat? I knew I should have payed more attention in college. I've heard of simple syrup, but I never thought I'd need to know how to make it. So here's the plan. I can't go to the ABC store today because on Sunday we apparently revert to 1920. (You know... Prohibition.) But, this is the year of the mai tai. I, Jaslco, do hereby declare that I will become an expert mai tai preparer. And perhaps an expert drinker of mai tais, too. Because what would be the point if I didn't?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that there are actually some ABC stores that are open on Sundays? I checked last night after we were talking about it. Of course, they're all in Northern VA and on the coast. Figures.

That mai tai looks delish!

1/29/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

We are of one mind! I looked too. Sadness. We should have known none around here would be open. Just add that to the list of things we cannot do on Sundays!

That mai tai there? That one was stee-rong. We were at a bar in our hotel and it was happy hour from 4-6, we got there at like 5:45. I got the mai tai, David got a beer. I asked the waitress if I could get another one before 6 and she said she couldn't bring me another until I was done with that one. So I sucked it down and she brought me another. Um, wow. It really did become happy hour. David drank half my second one because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to walk inconspicuously back to our room.

But hey. That's what vacation is for, right?

1/29/2006 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

what's an ABC store? (despite the fact that I live in DC, I never go to Virginia, and in the District we just have regular old liquor stores.)

1/30/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

Gen, ABC= alcoholic beverage control. You know... Big Brother. Hahaha. :)

1/30/2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Mair said...

OMG. I am DYING for a mai tai. God bless flavored liquor. And I know if you like it, I will like it. =)

1/30/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

Malia, I will make you one! Soon!

1/30/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mair said...

Hurrah! *Cheers madly*

You should put that recipe in your sidebar. ;-)

1/31/2006 10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home