6/13/2006

Hello blog, it's been a long time So what've I been up to, you wonder? Lots probably? Not really. Just taking an impromptu break. Didn't really mean to. Just one of those things that happens now and then. I've been watching a lot of Mary Tyler Moore (actually all of the third season) and wondering how it's still so relevent. Mary finds out she earns less than the person who had the job before her because... (oh yes, and it still happens today) it was a man. Even though she does a better job than he did. In another episode, she raves to Rhoda about friends of hers whose marriage she sees as perfect -- the one she'd want for herself. Then, of course, they separate. Also on the TV menu was an episode of Passport to Europe on the Travel Channel. The host, Samantha Brown, went to Monte Carlo. After showing us the opulence of Monaco, she took us to Eze, France. A tiny little Medieval village that looks like something from a fairy tale. And people get to live there. But she said something that struck me as so true, yet I'd never thought of it in terms of words. There's a certain amount of melancholy that accompanies visting a place like that. You enjoy the beautiful surroundings and sigh, knowing you're but a visitor amid the beauty. Your time there is limited. I can't watch that channel without itching to go somewhere and take a break from real life. Which, at 31, I guess shouldn't feel like quite the chore it's feeling like right now. Which brings me to another TV moment. In an episode of Sex and the City, Carrie says a New York woman is always looking for one of three things -- a job, an apartment or a boyfriend. And even when she has two of the three, she can let the elusive third thing eat at her. And so here I am with a fantastic husband, a pretty nice house and yes, a job. But one that feel like just a job. Maybe they're all supposed to feel that way -- it IS called work after all. But why do we let what we see as "missing" tear away all the other great things we have? If I knew the answer to that, I guess I wouldn't have asked the question.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question. You've been so introspective lately, and I like it. You have a wonderful life -- but you're too young not to be happy with it! If it's not giving you what you want, go find it. It's out there.

6/13/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

Yay, you're back - and with a fantastic comeback post, too!

I struggle with the problem of work dissatisfaction, too...and I don't quite know what to make of it. Am I asking too much of the world for it to have jobs out there that I wouldn't mind going to? I don't know. I have plenty of friends who are content "working for the weekend" - I just don't want to do it myself.

Here's hoping we both find something that yields a paycheck but also stimulates our minds and hearts.

6/14/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

Yeah, Malia. But what is it exactly? That's what I have to figure out.

And thanks, GG. What a world it would be if we could all do that.

6/14/2006 01:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home