7/10/2005

I carried a watermelon? We stopped at the grocery store to buy some watermelon. Sometimes you can buy a quarter or an eighth in a wedge We just did it the other day and it cost $1.40. It turned out to be not as much as I thought it was... I pretty much ate it all by myself. Today we went to the same store. Now the wedges are DelMonte and they're $4.99. FOUR NINETY NINE!? Are they insane? David said, "We could probably buy a whole watermelon for that." Surely. So we look. Whole watermelons (seedless, thanks) are $6.99. I wasn't really looking to invest in watermelon. But so be it. I pick one up. It's pretty heavy. David's holding a shopping basket. I eye it. There's no way the melon will fit. So we trade. He takes the watermelon and I take the empty basket. We get a few more things then head to the checkout. It takes four checkers and a key to ring up the watermelon. No one knew the number, then someone guessed and it rung up 16 pounds of grapes. Did you know that if you buy 16 pounds of grapes, it'll probably be $50? I'm not making wine, people. I'm just a drinker of the stuff. I prefer to leave the making to someone more knowledgable, thanks. Finally, the groceries are bagged and we pay (far less than $50, too). I pick up the bags and leave the watermelon for David. "You carry the watermelon." He picks it up. He turns and looks at me. At the same time, we both say "I carried a watermelon!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home