2/13/2006

Weekend I just realized I haven't posted since Thursday. Thursday! That doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about you, blog. I've just been kind of busy, you see. And now, I'll tell you what I've been up to. (Sitting on the couch watching the Food Network.) HEY! Who said that!?!? I most certainly was not. OK. Maybe I was. What of it? So Friday night when I left work, I'd realized we were completely out of bread. Not good. So on my way home from work I stopped at Wal-Mart. I got bread. By the time I got home, I needed a good unwind. So... here's what I was doing at 1 a.m.
Keeping with tradition (lately), I didn't go to the gym Saturday morning. I woke up early enough, realized it was pouring down rain, threw the covers back over my head and went back to sleep. But don't worry, I went Friday. But (ahem) not today. They changed my class from 10 a.m. to 9 a.m. (^&#$#&!!!) And if anyone else out there works until midnight, I'm sure you can understand the problem this poses. I get home by 12:30, go to sleep by 2 usually, but if I get up at 8 to make it to the gym at 9, that gives me only six hours sleep. And then I have to be fully functioning until midnight. It just doesn't work. Anyway, that's a long way of saying that Saturday, I got up, drank my water as usual, then had some breakfast and watched the Barefoot Contessa make some fantabulous-looking cookies. I wanted to make them so badly, but I knew I'd just eat them. And coupled with the not going to the gym regularly, that is not a good way to start the day. So I finished my breakfast and started some projects. One is artwork, the other... well. That was reorganizing my baking cabinet. I started it right after breakfast and then got distracted and started some artwork. But later that night, before we made dinner, I finished re-organizing the cabinet. Here's the result:
Now. About dinner that night. I made a lasagnalike pasta toss from 30-Minute Meals that turned out just OK. I'd make it again, but I'd probably change a lot of things. I'd use half the amount of beef the recipe calls for, and maybe a thicker tomato product. It calls for crushed tomatoes, which I used. The sauce just wasn't thick enough. The dish reminded me less of lasagna and more of Hamburger Helper. And I have never liked Hamburger Helper. Ever. Bleh. The thing is all the ingredients were really good separately. I'm not quite sure what happened when they came together. Oh well. Moving on. So that was Saturday night. For some reason, late that night I was craving Eggs Benedict. YUM. But I don't really know how to make it. And the place that I like it from best is Super Fancy -- they have a Super Fancy Sunday Brunch. Steamed shrimp, omelet bar, lots and lots of fancy Southern-style dishes. A Very Dignified Place. A 5-star kind of place. I didn't want to pay $45 a person just for some Eggs Benedict. Plus, I'm almost positive we couldn't have gotten a reservation THE SAME DAY anyway. Sacrilige. So when we got up Sunday morning, I decided I'd just make it myself. Now, I'd never poached an egg in my life. Biscuits, doable. Maybe. Hollandaise sauce? Hmm... I had no idea. So I looked up online (ain't the Interweb grand?) how to poach an egg. I could do that. I got out the Bisquick and made up some biscuits (note: Bisquick doesn't rise much. I had kinda flat biscuits. But whatever. They were biscuits.). Then I ran back to the computer to see how to make hollandaise sauce. I know it's not the best stuff for you (butter and egg yolk. Just kill me now.). So I looked on the Weight Watchers site for an alternative recipe. Um, no. They suggest mixing a tablespoon of hot water with some mayo, vinegar and adding yellow food coloring. I'm sorry. That is NOT going to happen. I looked up the real stuff. Hmm. Butter, 3 egg yolks, vinegar, hot water and maybe something else (Give me a break, I'm doing this from memory. Sheesh.). Since David said he didn't want to try it (SIGH!!! He hardly ever eats the stuff I cook.), I figured I'd just eliminate the sauce. What I really wanted was the egg anyway. So, I poached the eggs and they came out pretty good! Check it:
So that's what I've been up to. Except I would be totally remiss if I didn't mention that we went to Chrissy & Tom's last night for dinner. Tom made my favorite dinner of his. Roast beef and mashed potatoes. He makes the best roast beef, ya'll. Next time, I'll have to take a photo. And he's totally cute too because last night while we were eating, he said "So I have to admit my addiction." "Oh yeah? To what?" "Your blog." Awww. He is my favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home