7/14/2005

Yesterday Part I: Scary and real Yesterday was a really weird day. Most of all because of the thing with Nabbalicious. I felt kinda sick all day thinking about that poor girl. Nabbalicious really hit the meat of the issue when she said, "I feel so bad for her because you know something really sad has happened in the lives of people who do that kind of stuff to themselves." Exactly. And I hate thinking about sad things. Where Mrs. N will tell you she's morbid, I'm the one with my hands over my ears going LALALALALA when people talk about stuff like that. I just don't want it in my head. I struggle with that too -- just because I don't want to hear it doesn't mean that it isn't happening. But well... there's only so much I can take. When we were in Starbucks getting our frappaccinos, we saw a girl at a table outside wearing a shirt that Mrs. N has, only it was in a different color. I pointed this out to her and she said "Oh yeah! Well, she looks better in it." I said, "She does NOT. You just think that because the shirt's coral and the girl is super tan." Mrs. N said something to that, but I walked over to the counter to get my frapp and I'd kinda tuned her out because no matter what, I wasn't going to say that the girl outside looked better in that shirt. Because she didn't. But I did notice that the girl was tiny, cute, well dressed and looked pretty much perfect. Now cut to Mrs. N and I standing outside in the parking lot, sweating profusely, talking on phones to see what to do about the "sleeping" woman. I see the "perfect" girl from the Starbucks drive by in her car. She saw what was happening and stopped. She got out of her car, said she's a nurse and tried to open the girl's car door. It was unlocked. While the ambulance driver and the policeman were talking to the "sleeping" woman, the nurse says to Mrs. N and I, "I'm glad ya'll stopped." And then she says she's in recovery. I kinda hmmd in my head, but didn't say anything, thinking she meant she worked with people who were coming out of surgery. But Mrs. N asked a few minutes later if she meant she worked with people recovering from addictions. "Oh, no... I'm a recovering alcoholic." "Wow. Good for you!" Mrs. N said to her. Yesterday, nothing was as it seemed. The perfect-looking girl? Not so perfect. She had her demons just like anyone else. Perhaps worse than most. And the woman in the car? Well, I really thought that maybe she was diabetic and had collapsed because of that... a million things ran through my mind. Not once did I consider that she was one seriously troubled lady. It just goes to show that most of the time you don't see what you're really looking at.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jasclo said...

LALALLLAA.

I don't heeeeeeeeeeeeeear you. :)

And exactly on the other part.

7/15/2005 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home