8/30/2005

Must stop head from spinning David and I watched an episode of Oprah where some doctors were talking about things to do/eat/drink to make yourself healthier. It's from a book called "YOU: The Owner's Manual." I want this book. One because I'm a sucker and I know that. Two because David, who is not the healthiest eater, realized he needs to eat better. His wife telling him all the time just doesn't have the same effect. And I'm not talking about telling him he can't eat something. I never say that. It's more like, EAT SOME VEGETABLES! JUST TRY A TOMATO! Which I have to admit he has gotten infinitely better about. We've recently incorporated black beans. Believe me when I say that's a news flash. Here's what I learned. It's a lot to digest, though. (Har!) Here's what you should have every day: • At least eight glasses of water • One glass of red wine • Two glasses of milk • Five servings ("handfuls") of fruits and vegetables • Whole grains (Whole wheat and/or multi grain do NOT equal whole grains. Very confusing, which I already knew.) • Whole grain cereals • Tomato sauce (add a little olive oil... wow, THIS is health? I LIKE.) • 800 micrograms of folate • 400 international units of vitamin D • 1200 milligrams of calcium (BUT your body can absorbs only about 600 at a time, so you have to take/drink half and then the other half about six hours later.) • 400 milligrams of magnesium (Calcium and magnesium work best when taken together.) • Two baby aspirin (which apparently dramatically cuts cancer risks) Three times a week: • Fish -- tilapia, flounder, salmon, cod, mahi mahi. (Does anyone actually eat fish three times a week?) I'm sure there area a whole bunch of other things, probably that I might do for about three days and then forget about. I mean, I already usually forget my vitamin. I'm still probably gonna get the book. Learning about your body is good, after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jasclo said...

I KNOW! The only problem for us is when to drink it. Before work or after work? Before work probably would not be appreciated. And after work, well, that just plays with my sleep patterns. I think. But I think I will have to try it.

8/30/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

P.S. I was very sad they didn't say ANYTHING about cheese during the show. Sigh.

8/30/2005 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mair said...

Maybe you left the room during the cheese part! Maybe, just maybe!

8/30/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

God I hope so, Maliavale!

Oh! And they said 24 oz of coffee per day is perfectly acceptable.

8/30/2005 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mair said...

I need to read this book.

8/30/2005 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home