7/17/2006

Lessons in nature Today I saw two beetles. And they were... they were... well, you know. I think at least. I'd just gotten back from the grocery store and went to clip a couple roses that had bloomed on my competely out-of-control rose bush. I clipped on and felt something hit my arm. I flinched, but took a chance and looked at the flower. It was just pollen -- or rose dust or whatever -- from the middle of the flower. Then I clipped another. I had them both in my hand, walking over to the herb garden to clip some mint. I figured I'd see if there was any pollen/rose dust in the second flower. But something caught my eye. Thinking it was a spider, I almost threw it down and took off running. (Spiders are to me what bees are to Nabbalicious) But I fought my fear and looked. Wait, I thought, that's not a spider, it's a beetle. No, two.. TWO beetles. And... Oh my god, they're making beetle babies. In my flower. Maybe that's romantic for beetles, like 4-star hotel. I could have gone a whole lifetime without seeing that. I dropped the flowers on the ground next to the bush, clipped the mint and hauled my groceries into the house, careful not to look in their direction. Like they'd be embarrassed or something. And now that I'm inside, I just thank the good lord that it wasn't spiders. There wouldn't even have been anyone around to hear my scream.

4 Comments:

Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

Ha! You're a beetle voyeur!

7/17/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

gross!

7/18/2006 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

OH MY GOD, I'M NOT TOUCHING THE BEETLES. NO NO NO NO NO. Take it back!

7/18/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

Ah, I get to kill the beetles AND not look at them or touch them? Score.

7/20/2006 11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home