11/28/2005

I am a bleeder, which is why I have tissues in every room Since I was a kid, I've gotten nosebleeds. It used to be because we had a wood stove in our house when I was young. I remember mom taking me to the emergency room once because it just wouldn't stop. I was probably 6 or 8? I don't know. The doctor said if it kept happening, I'd have to have my nose packed. I don't know what the hell that means, but it doesn't sound good. Apparently, mom didn't think so either because she never took me back to the doctor about it. Don't worry, though. I turned out fine. Mostly. Starting in November, my nose gets really dry. We have a humidifier in our bedroom and we have a heat pump, so it's not like the heat is super dry (or is it? I don't really know). The humidifier just doesn't seem to solve the problem completely. Sunday morning, I woke up and as usual, reached for the tissues. I blew a little too vigorously, I suppose, because I felt something drip and I knew I was in trouble. I was about to freak out because I thought the blood droplet had fallen onto the new comforter. But, whew! It didn't. Just onto my shirt. It was a pretty heavy one, but I managed to stop it pretty quickly. See, I've learned the techniques. You have to pinch the ridge of your nose. (Slide your fingers down your nose. You want to pinch right under where the bone ends and the cartilage begins.) I know the impulse is to tilt your head back, but don't do that. If you do, the blood just goes down your throat. And ew. Of course do it till you get a tissue or something, but then just hold the tisse against your nostril and use the other hand to pinch. It should stop in a minute or so. If you've gotten punched in the nose, though, you're on your own. I don't think the technique works for that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jasclo said...

Huh, I'll look for that. Thanks!

11/29/2005 12:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home