4/26/2006

Truly mad Since I had the first season of Mad About You on DVD, I figured I'd watch it. Then I wanted to see the second season, so I hopped over (well, Webly speaking, of course) to Netflix and put it on out list. As an aside, I have to wonder what those Netflix people think of us. I add all these girly movies and TV shows and David's on there getting stuff like High Tension, Bullitt and The French Connection, while I'm listing things like Frasier and Next Stop Wonderland. Yeah, we could set up two lists, but then there's the matter of how many we get from which list and blah, blah. It's just easier to keep it all in one place. And really, I'm sure they see stuff like that all the time. But it's still funny to think that as they're (People do it, right? It's not robots, yet?) checking to see what to send us and then exclaiming "Wow! These people are insane. They just returned Texas Chainsaw Massacre and now they want When Harry Met Sally! Bah hahahaha!" Whatever. Laugh it up. Here's an even funnier one: Once I went to Amazon.com to look up a book and it had some recommendations for me. Aww, thanks Amazon! There was The Food Lover's Companion, a wine book and then... some Metallica cds. I wondered how the hell that had gotten into Amazon. Really, he's (she's?) usually better than that. And then I really started to wonder how they got that. Sure, lines between people who are married sometimes get blurred. But I didn't think anyone would mistake my musical tastes for David's. All I could figure was that I must have ordered something for him at some point and Amazon remembered. But I don't remember ordering any Metallica. Because, see, I think he has enough Metallica already. (hee hee) When I told him about it, we couldn't figure out whose page of recommendations that was -- his or mine. Ah well, I'll chalk it up as another mystery of marriage. Now, the business at hand was just this: I've (re)watched two seasons of Mad About You. And they go to this place called Riff's where Ursula (Friend Phoebe's twin, of course) is a horrible waitress. And yet. They. Go. Back. A lot. Why? Why is/was that? Sure it made for some funny moments, but really, it's just -- well, I was going to say a word that begins with an m- and ends in -ism. It may have the letters -ascho- in the middle, but if I actually type that word, I could get lots of unwanted attention. So I won't spell it out all together. So, to sum up: 1. Netflix and Amazon are probably confused by our wide variety of film, music and reading interests. 2. Jamie and Paul Buchman should have eaten dinner somewhere else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve said...

Oh, I love that show! I've got the first two seasons on dvd - are any others out? The first season is so different - what happened to Shelby? He kinda got replaced with Ira in Paul's friend circle.

I thought they kept going Riff's because it was either in their building or right next door. There's a lot to be said for proximity.

Amazon keeps recommending mysteries to me because I've bought a couple for my sister as gifts. I'm not really in to the mysteries. I wish there was some way to code what you were buying so it wouldn't use that in your recommendations.

4/26/2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Jasclo said...

I never missed Shelby. It's funny though that after the first season, he was never mentioned again. Maybe there's a lost episode, "The Big Fight."

I loved "Murray, get the mouse!"

All I'm sayin -- it's NY. There's nothing else around?

And yeah, that would be awesome if they'd do that. You should sell them that idea and make a million.

4/26/2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I'm sure the Netflix people/robots just think you're quirkily well-rounded. I wouldn't sweat it.

Amazon's always remembering stuff I bought for my ex-boyfriend and suggesting based on that. With music it's no biggie because we have really similar tastes. But the other day it recommended Pee Wee's Big Adventure because of the Pee Wee's Playhouse tape I got him long ago, and I just thought, "Um. No."

4/27/2006 04:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home